The scientific research activity of the Institute is based on the scientific programs in accordance with the decree of President of the Azerbaijan Republic on "The State Program of implementation of the National Strategy of Science Development in the Azerbaijan Republic for 2009-2015" and focused on the following priority areas:
1. Theoretical and applied problems of the development of hybrid information technologies and the intellectual control systems raising the profitability of industrial objects and allowing one the produce of competitive production;
2. Theoretical and applied problems of development of monitoring of technologies and the systems providing forecasting of failures, bringing harm to the economics and ecology of the country;
3. Theoretical and applied problems of mathematical modeling, identification, optimization and control of economic and production processes;
4. Theoretical and applied problems of development of intellectual technologies and information communication systems.
5. Efficient production facilities, which provide sub-optimal and optimal functioning of the different types of regimes and the new generation of "intelligent, hybrid, robust control, diagnostics, prediction and control systems," the establishment of the theoretical bases.
The Institute carries out theoretical and applied researches on such fundamental problems:
The theory of identification; the analysis of noisy signals; mathematical modeling; optimization; artificial intellect and diagnostic systems and the distributed intellectual monitoring for such objects, as oil and gas production, oil refining, transport, power industry, construction etc.